International Moves for Beginners

When preparing for an international move, there are many steps you can take to prepare yourself emotionally and physically to ward off the negative effects of the dread culture shock. Now culture shock is a very real condition. But I feel the connotation of the word is inherently and unnecessarily negative. Culture shock is merely a highlighter. It is your system recognizing something different in your surroundings than before. Our bodies have a great way of recognizing the foreign and odd. It's reflexes keep us safe and help us to react quickly to sudden change. Culture shock is yet another reflex. We can take these highlighted changes or differences and learn from them when they present themselves to us.

Here are some ways to prepare for your international move and by so doing decrease the negative side effects of culture shock.

1. Keep a positive attitude, especially when speaking to locals. This is very important, especially if you're an American traveling. American's have not traditionally been known for handling our culture shock with grace. It's easy to fall into the trap of comparing America with your new country and boast about the ways you might see America to be superior. This does not impress anyone, and is a sure way to isolate yourself. People are proud of where they come from, and they are more likely to share the hidden beauties of their culture with you when you express excitement and awe for their country rather than dismay and shock. Try to avoid phrases like "How we do it in America is...." or "It's so different here than in America because...." or "I can't believe you do _____ here". It's been my experience that these kinds of remarks only off put those around you. Even if they ask for comparisons, try to do express them as positively as possible. They already have the expectation that you'll be an "Ugly American" so it's best to put a positive foot forward. When you do this culture shock also becomes so much easier to deal with.

2. Do your research on the culture. Before visiting/moving to your destination of choice, do your research. Each culture is so different than another. Research what their culture do's and don't's are. That way you can distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior. If have some idea what to expect from people you'll feel you have the upper hand instead of playing catch-up.

3. Google Earth your destination. Culture shock is a very physical thing. You are seeing things that you haven't before. Before I moved to Surabaya, Indonesia, I Google Earthed my future home, the school, and my path from the airport. I would recommend clicking down the road, and exploring the areas you'll be seeing every day. When I arrived, I felt comfort and excitement seeing the places I'd previously only seen on the computer screen. I was prepared for the hectic traffic, the tsunami of motor bikes, and the level of poverty I would see, because I'd seen it before. My mind knew what to expect, and my body was at peace because of it.

4. Try and connect with Expats in your city before you leave. This proved to be invaluable to me. I spoke to the school and requested the email addresses of some of the expats teaching there. I have found most expats are excited and willing to share the advice they wish they had before arriving. For me the advice I received ranged from convenient products I should bring with me, the best airlines they've found to fly with, and what measures to take to protect my health. These insider suggestions turned out to be a huge help in my culture shock, for you might not realize it, but the place you will experience culture shock the greatest is the grocery store. You'll head into the store with your list of items you need, and when you realize most aren't at that store, or any store, you can head into a tail spin. Been there, spun that! What do you mean this country doesn't sell tampons? How do you not have brown sugar? You don't carry mac and cheese!? Yes, all these things have been spoken before. Trust me, you'll want to feel confident when you enter the store, that if they don't have what you need you have either brought it with you, or know the alternative.

5. Make sure you are technologically equipped. There are a few apps to train your friends and family on back home before you leave. WhatsApp will become your new best friend. It allows you to use the Internet to text and place phone calls so you are free of those nasty international charges your cell phone provider will want you to pay. Before I left I had my family install the app on their phones. This app is so easy even my grandparents are able to use it. When you call, it rings on your phone like a normal phone call, even if they don't have the app opened. Google Translate app is amazing as well. Not only can you type in phrases or words you don't know the answer of, but you can also take a photo of a street sign or menu, and the app will translate the photo for you! An amazing app. Now for your computer, when you leave your country, the websites you're used to being able to access with ease (Netflix, Hulu, Pandora just to name a few) will all of a sudden be blocked and not let you access via your new country. A way to get around this is by installing what is called Hola! You might have to install Google Chrome in order to use it. It isn't compatible with Safari or Firefox. But via Hola! you will be able to select your home country to browse from, and be able to open the websites that you love.

6. GET YOUR RECOMMENDED VACCINATIONS and consult a doctor before leaving.  If you are reading this post, you have an explorer's spirit. Explorers are adventurous souls with little regard for risk. But do you know what most explorer's died of? Disease. Tiny little foreign germs that they couldn't see attacking them. This generation of explorer's is blessed with modern medicine to allow us to see the world with the protection our for bearer's would have killed for.

As I was preparing to leave, the list of things I needed and the money it was going to cost me was becoming sky high. Vaccinations and doctors bills were the last thing on my mind. Fortunately I have a mother who knows better. If you aren't able to afford a doctor's visit you can visit a nurse practitioner who can administer the vaccinations and give you a prescription for most of the medications you'd need for traveling. Personally I recommend getting medicine for stomach infections, nausea and diarrhea. When I arrived in Surabaya and attended by first expat dinner, it was as if I were visiting a field hospital. All had experienced ailments from typhoid to parasites to stomach infections. I was grateful for the money I had invested in my health. I was especially grateful three weeks later, when I was curled up on the floor of my apartment, sick as a dog with my own stomach infection, and instead of dealing with doctors, I was able to take out my trusty prescription pills, and recover quickly. But even with the medication, I was given a small taste of what this country could do to me, and it humbled me and reminded me to take better care of my body and remember it's has the immune system of an infant in this new land.

7. Make local friends. I know it will be tempting to find a few expats and cling to them for dear life. But this is only going to continue to see your culture shock in frustration and wonder why you can't assimilate. Local friends are amazing. You get to learn to use full body sign language, how to talk in broken English, and choose only the most basic of words, but you also learn the local hide outs, the best buys for your money, and make some fantastic friends that will share with you what makes their culture special. I've found that my local friends have been my lifeline since living in Surabaya. Their knowledge has not only helped me navigate their country, but I'm learning the language quicker, and connecting with more people because of their love and teaching.

8. Bring lots of photos from home. I know, I know, who prints photos anymore? You do! If you're moving to a new country, away from what is familiar, you'll crave the gaze of the familiar and the comforting. Walgreens usually has some sort of photo coupon. I caught them on a good day and was able to print hundreds of photos for 10 bucks. These photos have decorated many flats around the world, and been staples and taped on half a dozen bulletin boards. The scenery, the people, and even the currency will change, but those faces of those I love half a world away are a small piece of home for me. You'll be surprised how much those faces will give you comfort. But more than that, they'll become conversation starters for new friends and humanizer for curious students or co-workers.

9. Bring smells that remind you of home. I know this might sound like an odd piece of advice, but again culture shock is affected by all the senses. If there is a candle of a scent that you associate with home, bring it with you to fill your new home. I personally use doTERRA essential oils Console, Forgive, and Peace blends in a diffuser to fill my home. It helped me deal with the emotional loss of my country and have peace with the new daily experiences. This was a huge comfort to me, and I looked forward to coming home and putting it on. It was similar to taking an emotional anti-acid. It gave me the peace to process my day without any acidity feelings arising and turning beautiful moments into bitter ones.

10. Keep a journal. You're moving to a new country!!! This is a huge move for you, and it's important to process and record your thoughts and moments. When you return to your home country, you'll wish you could remember every detail. You'll want to remember the name of your first local friend. The name of that dish you could only get in that one city. That experience you had where you were completely out of your comfort zone, but found a way to thrive. Not only will you want to remember these moments, but writing is incredibly cathartic. By writing what you see and feel you'll be able to process those new emotions and experiences.

Last piece of advice- BE PATIENT! I'm on my 37th move, and what I've learned from my years as an urban gypsy is that it takes about six months for me to feel I've assimilated myself into the rhythm of a city, and that my heart is now beating with its heart. You won't feel out of place forever. Lean into the culture shock, allow yourself to learn and get it wrong the first few dozen times, and celebrate the little moments of ease. Remember no matter where in the world you roam, people are people. They love their lovers, value their children, and wish for a better future. Connect heart to heart with those around you, regardless of their looks or language, and you'll be surprised at the kindred spirits surrounding you waiting to be discovered!

Best of luck to all you new adventurers out there! If you have any further pieces of advice please comment below as well!


Comments

Popular Posts